Friday, September 22, 2006

Happy Birthday to me

Memories are made up of little moments much more than big ones. I guess this is another way of saying the devil is in the details. Today is my 41st birthday.

Last year -- the Big Four-Oh -- there was a big party, a trip to New York City, and lots of hoopla. I loved it, don't get me wrong. I am NOT one of those people who doesn't like being the center of attention. Last year, I got lots of attention from lots of people.

This year -- the Ho-Hum Four-One -- no hoopla. I woke up when my kids jumped in bed with me, snuggling up and saying, "Happy Birthday, Mommy!" My husband (let's call him Milt) made me eggs for breakfast while I packed my sons' backpacks for school. He drove them to school, kissing me good-bye when he left and wishing me a fun day. At 9:00 am, a very nice lady came to the house and gave me a massage -- a gift from Milt. An hour later, I was a gooey pile of mush (I love massages).

I met two of my very good friends for sushi downtown, and Milt joined us. We had some good fish and some good laughs. The best is that my friend Robin, who knows I love a good snack cake, got me two industrial-sized boxes: one of Ring Dings and one of Devil Dogs.

I hung out with my boys when they got home from school, until they'd had enough of "Mom's birthday" and went to play video games. I did some work on the computer and fielded callls from some friends and my parents. When Milt came home, we did gifts and cards with the kids, then went over to my best friend Dina's house for a Rosh Hashanah/birthday dinner. Her mom was there, and they made a pleasant fuss. We had some holiday food, drank a couple bottles of wine and just hung out. Her kids and mine spent 5 minutes eating and 3 hours playing. We joked that both the kids and the husbands were well-behaved. We were home by 9:30. After the kids went to bed, Milt and I watch the season premier of Numbers. I really like that show.

Memories is made of little moments much more than big ones. This was the best day. Everyone I saw I really loved. I felt cherished by my friends and family, honored in little important ways, like the funky birthday cake Dina got from the bakery and the outfit from my favorite over-priced store that Milt picked out all by himself which is actually tasteful and properly fitting. No hoopla, not parties, but some heartfelt good wishes. Lots of little moments that I want to hold on to.

Happy Birthday to me. I hope when it's your birthday, you have at least a couple little moments to celebrate who you are.

No comments: