Tuesday, January 17, 2006

Back at ya, folks

First of all, thanks for the encouragement from you guys out there. Sometimes I just have to let my hair down once in a while and look at the bugs crawling on the underside of the log. Having done so, I can hopefully turn that sucker back over and walk on with some more confidence.

For the first time in my adult life, I am not gainfully over-employed and working like a fiend to juggle a million different things. This semester, I stepped it down to teaching one class twice a week, and taking a class at Trinity on Tuesdays. This is a change, as I tend to compulsively fill my days with work and "stuff," so I feel like I am accomplishing something. I chose this less-is-more approach on purpose, because I wanted to give myself a chance to see what develops, especially with my erstwhile writing career. If I keep myself busy with the business that I plan, how can I ever have something unexpected? And as my hubby says, why can't I just fucking relax and enjoy myself once in a while?

I just finished this great book, Tales from the Bed. It's about a woman with ALS, and how she finds her life work as she's dying. She finds it's work that gives her life meaning. I get that. My work has always been one of the driving forces for me. Without it, without a "I have to get up and go do this right now," I'm floundering a bit.

But not to worry (I say to myself). I am going to create my work right now. My goals are at least one hour of writing per day. Starting now. Let's see how that goes. I have to have faith that from that, something will grow.

But enough about me. How YOU doin?

6 comments:

Dems for Education said...

Having some trouble getting comments to send via email, so I'm testing, testing, 1,2,3..

Aldon Hynes said...

Hey, I hope you stop by and read my blog entry about ALS.

Also, if you want to know about other things I've been up to, please check out ReadtheBill.org.

Papa Bill said...

I can't seem to reach your E-mail. Brett, me , and whoever are meeting at the Wood'N Tap on Thursday at 6:00. My computer tells me it's not connecting with yours,E-mail-wise(story of my life). Reply by blog if you can't connect.

Bora Zivkovic said...

I'm doing GREAT. I am over the winter-blues hump I go through every December and now I am full of energy for writing my Dissertation, blogging and everything else!

Brett E. Lassoff said...

Deep in the winter blues hump, but doing fine. Hoping you'll come to dinner with Bill and I in order to keep him a little grounded.

Papa Bill said...

Grounded? The last time I was grounded was by my mother for smuggling condoms into my Roman Catholic prep school.
You should really come to keep Brett grammatical. He's an ENGLISH teacher, for cripes sake.