Monday, October 31, 2005

Geez, that's annoying

Salon is clearly violating the basic blogging ethos by making me watch that Lexis commercial. I've adapted the basic notion that blogging is free...in form, in spirit, in structure, and in fact. By inflicting advertising on me as a precursor to even viewing the site, Salon seems to be sending a "hands-off" message. I do not expect to have a great interactive chat on this site. I expect high-brow, self-important discourse. After all, it's a Lexis commercial.

1 comment:

Brett E. Lassoff said...

But Salon isn't a blog, they just happen to host The Daou Report. They are an internet magazine, and as such have the right to advertise. Salon pays some heavy duty writers including Garrison Keillor, and must recoup their money in some way. The Daou Report is just a feature of their site. Plus, you can pay a membership to get the ad taken away.