Thursday, October 06, 2005

"Smartest man I ever knew": On the trail of a meme

I first heard that Miers called Bush "the smartest man I've ever met" when I was watching news of her announcement on Monday. By that time, it was all over the blogdom when I went to check it out.

That night, PBS's Charlie Rose discussed the nomination with Nina Tottenberger, Larry Tribe from Harvard, and a rabid Democratic Senator whose name I don't remember (but you know it's bad if I thinks he's over the top). Nina made a comment that the conservative blogs were going nuts over the nomination. She also referred to the "smartest person" meme as well.

I checked the Courant on Tuesday and Wednesday, but no mention of the meme. Interesting because it's quite provocative, but totally gossip. Maybe like the "George is drinking AGAIN" meme, the print media won't touch it. Why not?

After some investigation, I think I know why. The source appears to be Marvin Olsky commenting on WorldViews blog (Daily News/Christian Views), which is based on the dreaded anonymous source.

I'm not familiar with Olasky, but Confirmation Whoppers, run by Gary Gross, describes Olasky as "an evangelical Christian & the author of a book titled 'The Tragedy of American Compassion', which Newt Gingrich used to adopt the cause of welfare reform." (Lousy punctuation is his, not mine). Wow, I guess we can trust THIS guy!

Since Olasky is the source of the meme, based solely on an "anonymous Christian lawyer," I can understand why the Courant, etc. won't touch it. Could be Swift Boat all over again, and isn't it funny that this meme is supposed to be an indication of her lack of credibility and her low-octane brainpower? Cause on both sides of the aisle, we all know the Pres. is no genius?!!!

Those of us who've been predicting the end of the newspaper as we know it should push back our timeline a few more years. I have renewed respect for the Courant, etc. for sticking more closely to verifiable fact, and not jumping on the "guess what I heard" bandwagon.

No comments: