Monday, October 31, 2005

The Tao of Daou

Okay, I had this really insightful post going, and my computer crashed and I lost it. Grrrr. Now I'm flippin tired. But here's the gist: Daou states its mission: The site was launched with three objectives: 1) to offer a diverse, unfiltered sample of online political discourse, 2) to probe the ideas, passions, and perspectives that give rise to our current political divide, 3) to examine the relationship between blogs, the political establishment and the mainstream media.

Does it accomplish its lofty mission? I dunno yet. It does provide a diverse link to left and right blogs. The Alito nomination provides the perfect Petri dish to examine whether (how, if) blogs shape or control the media debate. Right now the main message is "it's abortion rights, stupid." Okay, so Daou gives lots of links. How does it "probe" the perspectives? I haven't seen analysis yet, just links. I will say that I read the article on blogging, and I don't get it. I don't. What are netroots activists? What's the main point? I am turned off, I admit, and very suspicious that my first impression from the Lexis commercial -- that this is an elitist club with their own private jargon and secret handshake -- seems confirmed. Okay, I can watch the debate and listen to the debate, but clearly neophytes like me can't participate in the debate, at least not on Taou. Or am I just oversensitive?

No comments: