Tuesday, September 13, 2005

Sort of a long story

After looking around at some other blogs, I made some changes, including changes to the name and address of my blog. No real reason, other than the realization that I CAN change them, and also, with the ability to change settings, edit prior postings, etc., a blogger can revise her history at will, ad nauseum, and no one is the wiser. Mistake? Misquote? Spelling error? Not any more. With nothing but a wisp of cyber shadow, poof, it's all gone. The implications of that are, to me, rather frightening. Let's say someone wants to post some real trash on his site, something completely outrageous, libelous, and scandalous. Then, damage done, the blogger can disappear, or simply "edit" history. Unless someone printed it out, where's the proof, the trail? And even if someone did print it out, I can tell you from my lawyerly perspective that it would be extremely difficult to authenticate (i.e., prove who wrote it, and when). The bottome line is the lack of accountability, or even traceability, is frightening. It's the ultimate anonymous source.

No comments: