Saturday, September 17, 2005

Thinking Dooce

After Thursday's class, I went back and took another look at Dooce. I really do like the site. It's interesting, fairly-well written, and nice -- you know, pleasant and entertaining. It's not, however, earth-shattering. To me, it's an indication of how little else there is (that I can find) that is really COMPELLING. Fark and such are fun to click around, but you don't sit there and READ Fark. It's a site about other sites. Dooce is, on the other hand, kind of Seinfeld-like; it's a site about nothing. Nothing that is, except the humorous musing of a stay-at-home mom. When I go there, I find her stories and nothing else. Therefore, I will keep going there to read about her -- not to get links to other funky, weird, or gossipy stories. I'm not even sure that I'd be friends with Heather B. Armstrong if I lived near her, but I do feel like I know her somewhat, since I get to hear her (supposed) inner thoughts and musings. It's a site that has a name, a face, and a storyline...although not an agenda. She's not trying to convert me to any political cause (although she may try to sell me a camera and some clothes). I think its appeal is that it's always about the same thing; it has a consistent theme. In the chaos of the blogosphere, it's nice to have an on-going relationship with SOMETHING.

No comments: