Monday, September 26, 2005

Where have I been?

Okay, how could it possibly have been a week since I last posted? Bad blogger...

I guess I've finally recovered from all the birthday festivities, time to get back to work.

Some random thoughts. The Prince guy refers to himself in the third person. Didn't MacArthur do that? Fairly weird thing. I guess in the blogdom, we can all be princes.

I found the blog carnival discussion pretty fascinating. From what I can discern, the key to being a carnival is the rotating editors. "Serious" blogs, like dKos, have a theme and a voice, but the idea that a carnival blog allows for differing editors to rotate through as the principal authorial voice does seem distinctly different from a plain ol' blog. Carnival is an interesting and descriptive word choice, as it does imply a certain friviolity, and certainly constant change. I wonder if carnival blogs might have less chance of developing that certain self-important "I am God" tone so many of the established blogs have developed.

Finally, the Reporters Without Borders site was a striking reminder that blogs really are the new frontier for many people. In the US, we tend to bicker over press bias, and White House censorship, but the bottom line is, we get to say pretty much whatever we want. For some many in other countries, blogs are perhaps the ONLY way that certain information and news can get disseminated to the rest of the world. The blogdome is pretty heady and powerful when you put it that way.

No comments: