Wednesday, November 02, 2005

Are we up and coming yet?

I see that to be "up and coming," your blog has to receive between 50-100 hits a day. While I'm pretty sure I haven't gotten more than a total of 100 hits ever, our class blog may be hitting that mark, especially during the halcyon days of fighting with other blogs, when the comments were flying fast and furious.

I wonder if we're part of a newish genre of working class blog, that is a blog that exists to transfer a specific set of information to a set group of people. Our blog isn't designed to inform the general public or opine on current events -- it's a blog for a class, whose visitors (at least in concept) visit to perform a function (learn what we need to do).

But I digress...I think, as discussed by Clay Shirky, that there IS an A-list of blogs. To a certain extent, so what? Unlike a traditional marketplace, supply has little to do with demand. While many bloggers may try to garner influence, if they fail, it doesn't matter. It doesn't cost anything to maintain a blog, and a successful blog really doesn't yield any money. If I want to maintain a blog for no one other than myself, it really doesn't matter. It doesn't cost me anything. Unlike just about any other marketplace, I can't get pushed out -- at least not yet. Maybe someday it will cost money to do "this," it doesn't yet. I can therefore keep doing this as long as I want.

No comments: