Tuesday, November 15, 2005

Back in the saddle

After being sidelined with an eye injury for a week, I'm back with a vengeance. I can now spend more than 5 minutes on the computer without getting a massive migraine (I hope). I have some ground to make up on the religious blog issue, and I have been pondering the role of the religious blog since last class (and wasn't it a fun class? Thanks, Colin, for letting us all get out of our comfort zone).

One of the big tasks for religions (and political parties, apparently) is KEEPING its followers (minions, whatever). We talked about proselytizingand whether the blogdom was appropriate for that. It seems, though, that the more obvious ground for blogs is to stay in touch with one's followers, and offer solace, comfort, a sense of caring, on a routine basis. Blogs are perfect for that, as they can be written in a very personal, intimate way and yet reach thousands, millions. Much more effective for reaching members of one's flock than the traditional one-to-one contact. This site, for example, seems to post daily readings much like my grandmother's Daily Word devotional that she read every day. This one similarly is a "daily devotional" type site.

The Daily strikes me as being daily God talk...kinda goofy, but interesting, quirky topics. This is one of the few religious sites that does seem like it's about dialogue and not preaching.

Overall, though, I didn't find much in the way of the daily "I'm thinking of you, here's a thought for the day" kind of religious blog. To me that seems like a very useful tool for a preacher. I can see the announcements in the church bulletin..."Keep in with us every day, not just on Sunday, by going to www.preachersblog.com." Let me know if anyone finds that!!!

No comments: