Tuesday, November 29, 2005

Small Worlds

Aldon (who has definitely become an extended part of our community, along with Coturnix) pointed me to "I Love Colonscophy." It's good to know it's there if you need it.

I'm never any good at finding the cool sites, but I thought about what I'm working on or thinking about at any point in my day, and went looking for some like-minded bloggers. I played field hockey in college, which is one of those sports that's useless once you're out of school, but I did find some others interested in the sport. My Humanities class is reading "When Bad Things Happen to Good People," which led me to the Velveteen Rabbi. The kids are home, so when they finish beating each other up, they can enter the mind of a leading guru of the seven-year-old boy crowd, Captain Underpants. Yes, it's as gross as it seems. Right up there with one of their other favorite hobbies, pickin' boogers (check out the Kids FEMA Rap). Now Sparky is scratching at the door.

So what does this prove? That there's a Jack for every Jill, that at any given moment, if I want to connect with like-minded people and chat about something -- just about anything -- I can find a community in the blogdom. If that fails, I can try to create one. So even though I blow a little hot and cold on the blogdom, I gotta say: how cool is that?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's almost scary how easy it is to start one up. Since this class began, I've devised at least four full-steam-ahead schemes for major blog projects.

Your twins blog, I sense, has great promise! (for fun, and practical advice). Inspiring.

Papa Bill said...

Just left a comment on Brett's blog about you in response to something you said. I disagree, though. Even if you don't directly discuss personal events, your blog is definitely personally revealing. You can't help it, it's the nature of the blogging beast.

Dems for Education said...

Self-revealing, yes. (Why? What have you heard?) Personal details, less so. I wouldn't, for example, post an ode to my spouse. I took Colin's little post which caused all this trouble to mean he felt like he was "supposed" to discuss the details of his daily life more to be a real blogger dude.

Having said all that, I have consciously stepped out a bit further on the personal details in the last few posts. Baby steps, and I have to say, I feel a bit...ya know (hands waving uncertainly in the air).